30 June 2011

School's out for summer...school's out forever

I know I'm a bit late on both of those fronts. School got out for summer a month ago and I finished my master's work a month and a half ago. I will officially graduate in August, but I'm essentially done. So glad to be finished with all of that. With school and work and life going on, it left little time to blog. Doesn't mean I wasn't doing anything. So in an effort to blog more and share my craftiness that has occurred over the past few months, I'm going to catch up.

First up let's go back to February/March. That was my last significant blogging and one crazy time. I was maid of honor in my best friend's wedding and had a state conference to help put on the following week. Hectic time, but a great one. My crafty contribution to her wedding was the bouquet she carried at the rehearsal. 

I started out with all of this...
flower01

To say I was overwhelmed is an understatement. That is a lot of ribbon and tulle. I wanted the bouquet to match and not have too crazy of colors going on. There was a lot of grosgrain ribbon from Crate & Barrel in the pile so I decided to use the white ribbon with "Crate & Barrel" written on it along with the dark green grosgrain ribbon. I started by cutting all of the white and green ribbon up into strips.
flower02

I then used some felt I already had and cut out a square. Then I began hot gluing the strips folded over onto the felt.
flower03

I kept adding more ribbon until a flower was created (ignore the pipe cleaner that was idea that did not work at all).
flower04

Some of the flowers I added in the tulle.
flower05

Once I had all of the flowers done I needed something to put them on. Sorry there are no pictures of this step because I just kind of improvised. I used a plastic Target grocery bag and filled it with other plastic grocery bags until I created a sphere at the top and had the bottom part as a type of handle. I used tape to wrap around the bottom portion adding some more plastic bags to create a more sturdy handle. I then hot glued a white burlap to the entire thing.

Then I just started hot gluing the ribbon flowers to the burlap. I added some more burlap around the handle to frame the ribbons and added in the silver bow things that I cut up randomly into the bouquet. In the photo below the handle is at the right.
flower08

A closeup of the finished bouquet.
flower07

I was very happy with the end result and I think the bride was too. The wedding was amazing, beautiful and fun. An event we are all talking about months later.

Shared at all my favorite Link Parties

4 comments:

Erin said...

Wowww...we stuck smashed up bows to paper plates for ours. Yours is MUCH cuter. What a good maid of honor. :)

And--congrats to you on finishing your Masters; that must be such a relief! I also finished mine a month and a half ago. What do you teach? I see you teach high school...I teach 9th/10th English! :)

chris said...

What a great idea. Your bouquet is perfect. Congrats on finishing up your masters degree. Those theses are killers. :)

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Looks better than the ones that I've put together! Great job!

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy said...

Cute! I would love it if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/tuesday-confessional-link-up-2.html. I hope to see you soon!
~Macy from Confessions of a SAHM