Here goes my first tutorial. There are plenty out there for potholders, but I want to document my process so when I make them again I have it all down. And in case anyone wants to follow my way, you are more than welcome.
I started with a potholder I got on clearance at TJMaxx for probably $1.
I like the size and that it has a pocket. I also liked the binding and the loop.
So, I used it as my guide.
You will need the following (I made 2, so if you are just making one then cut each quantity in half):
2 pieces of Insulated batting 10" x 7" (I used Insul-bright)
2 pieces of terry cloth (or a towel - that is what I used) 10" x 7"
2 pieces of terry cloth (or towel) 7.5" x 7"
2 pieces of fabric (or scraped together piece) 10" x 7"
2 pieces of fabric (or scraped together piece) 7.5" x 7"
2 pieces of fabric binding 2.5" x approximately 45" long (I made my own out of the coordinating fabric)
1. For the pocket, place one of the 7.5" x 7" pieces of terry cloth (or towel) against the wrong side of one of the 7.5' x 7" pieces of fabric.
2. Using a quarter inch seam allowance, sew the pocket pieces together.
3. I used a straight line quilting technique (you could skip this part or use a different technique) to add a bit of interest.
4. Sew the binding to one of the short ends of the fabric/towel sandwich.
5. I then wrapped the binding to the other side and machine sewed it in place (you could hand stitch this part - I machine stitched one potholder and hand stitched the other). Yes, this is a different potholder than the one above.
6. Next, I sewed on my label. If you have one, don't forget this step (I have gotten a lot better at this).
7. Next make your sandwich for the heat-resistant side. Place the 7" x 10" fabric right side up, then place the 7" x 10" insul-bright silver side up, then put the 7" x 10" towel piece at the bottom.
8. Using a quarter inch seam allowance, sew the pieces together. I again used a straight line quilting technique to match the pocket.
9. Next place the two pieces towel side together.
10. Place the binding on one side of the potholder and pin (no pic...sorry!)
11. Then, I replaced my regular sewing foot with my new walking foot (best purchase EVER!) sewed the binding around the potholder, sewing the pieces and the potholder together at the same time).
12. Again, then wrap the binding to the other side and machine sew it in place (or hand stitch). The second one turned out a bit better than the first, but I'm happy with both. Hope the recipient is too!
These are for a gift set, all I have let to make is the apron. Once the set is done I'll share pics.
Shared at all my favorite Link Parties.