11 September 2011

Sunday Sayings


From jacy ann via Pinterest

Usually I'm quiet on Sundays and just post a saying, like the one above. I can't let this day go by without saying more.

10 years. 10 years? I can't believe it has been 10 years since that day. Like most everyone, I remember exactly where I was and what I did practically all day. It was a Tuesday, I was a senior at Texas A&M University. The most important thing happening to me at that time was waiting for September 13, the day my friends and I would be getting our Aggie rings. Since it was a Tuesday, I was able to sleep late because I had classes late in the afternoon. My best friend called our apartment to let us know what was going on. My roommate and I were both unaware of what was happening that morning. We sat mesmerized watching the TV to find out the latest. It was before the second plane hit and as the news started to pour out it was only to get worse. At that time in my life I had never been to New York City or Washington, DC. I was unable to fathom and wrap my mind completely around it all.

It is definitely a day I will remember forever. It is strange to think that the students I teach were anywhere from 5 to 8 years old when it happened. Way to young to realize the magnitude of what was happening but to know it was happening non-the-less. I was 6 years old when the Challenger exploded in 1986 and I still remember exactly where I was that day. I knew that it was a tragedy but wouldn't be able to fully understand until I was older.

Since then I have visited Ground Zero multiple times, both with friends and with students. It is still a place that sends chills to my bones and still can't imagine what it was like that day. In May, I was able to travel to Washington, DC with students for a national competition. It was a destination I had been wanting to go to for a long time. Top on my list was definitely the Pentagon. We were lucky enough to get to tour the Pentagon and the chapel. I have a connection to that chapel, as my uncle and his business IHS Studios designed and created the stained glass there. I was in awe the entire visit. Before the tour  of the Pentagon we were able to go and walk around outside at the memorial. It was one of my favorite parts of the trip. The thought and detail put into that memorial is astounding. They have turned a place of devastation into one of beauty as they have also now done at the site of the World Trade Centers.

I continue to pray for the lives that were touched by the events of that day.


1 comment:

Meg O. said...

What a beautiful quote! And thank you for sharing your story. I've enjoyed reading everyone's perspectives on the day. I can't believe it's been 10 years.