19 September 2011

Suzy Homemaker - Breakfast Edition

That's the nickname one of my friends blessed me with. I'll take it. One of my favorites is breakfast. Yum. Here are three of my favorite recipes. I only have pictures for the first one since I made a new batch yesterday.

Breakfast Burritos
(makes 20-24 burritos, 5 to 6 WW Points+)
These are so simple to make. I adapted a recipe from Mom Time Out. Mine have less ingredients and are a lot quicker to make. I usually make a large batch at once and freeze them. They make for a quick and simple breakfast on my way to work. They are also packed with protein, so they keep me fuller longer.

Ingredients
2 lbs (2 packages) lite pork sausage (I prefer the HEB brand)
1 dozen eggs
2 packages of medium flour tortillas
1 bag 2% or reduced fat shredded cheese (I prefer the Mexican blend)
1-2 cups chopped onions (I use frozen)
1-2 cups chopped bell peppers (I use frozen)
Salt, Pepper, and Tony Chachere

Directions
1. Cook the pork sausage over medium to high heat with the onions & bell peppers. Add some salt & pepper. Once cooked, drain.
2. Add salt, pepper, and Tony Chachere to the eggs before scrambling in skillet.
3. Combine the meat and egg mixtures.
4. Lay one tortilla on a plate. Sprinkle a pinch of the cheese blend on top.
 

5. Place approximately 1/3 cup of the egg/meat mixture on top of the cheese & tortilla.


6.Wrap the tortilla burrito style. Place on a foil covered cookie sheet.
7. Continue until all tortillas and/or mixture is used. If you have left over mixture, you can refrigerate or freeze it to eat with some hash browns in a breakfast bowl.
8. Place cookie sheet in freezer for approximately one hour to flash freeze them. If you have multiple cookie sheets, you can stack them on top of each other. I just put a piece of foil between the sheets.

9. After one hour, I take them off the cookie sheet and place them in a gallon freezer bag in one layer. I take them out as needed during the week.
10. To reheat, I have found that wrapping them in a damp paper towel and heating for 1 minute 45 seconds is the best bet to keep the tortilla from getting stiff.
11. Enjoy!


Sausage Bread
(makes 6 servings)
Another simple recipe that everyone loves, I stole from my sister-in-law. She makes it every time we go visit. This reheats really well.

Ingredients
1 lb (1 package) lite pork sausage (again, I prefer the HEB brand)
1 bag 2% or reduced fat shredded cheese (I prefer the Mexican blend)
1 (11 oz) can refrigerated French bread dough (you can also use Italian bread dough)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook the pork sausage over medium to high heat in skillet. Drain well.
2. Unroll dough into rectangle. Sprinkle with cheese then sprinkle with cooked sausage.
3. Roll bread with sausage/cheese mixture jelly roll style.
4. Turn seamside down on baking sheet and pinch ends to secure filling inside. Cut 3 to 4 slits across top of dough.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bread is lightly browned on outside.
6. Remove and cool before slicing.


Broccoli and Sausage Breakfast Bake
(makes 8 to 10 servings)
This is another adapted recipe. This time from Jimmy Dean. This is my version, only slightly different. Click on the link for theirs. Everyone loves it, though some prefer without the broccoli. It is good with or without it.

Ingredients
1 lb (1 package) lite pork sausage (again, I prefer the HEB brand)
1 1/2 cups 2% or reduced fat shredded cheese (I prefer the Mexican blend)
1 package 12 frozen hash brown patties, thawed
2 cans Rotel tomatoes (drained)
1 chopped white onion or 1-2 cups chopped frozen onion
8 to 10 eggs
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
Salt & Pepper

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook the pork sausage over medium to high heat in skillet. Drain well.
2. Place hash browns in 13x9 inch baking dish. Cover with layers of sausage mixture, broccoli, Rotel, and cheese.
3. Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper in large bowl with whisk until well blended. Pour over ingredients in pan.
4. Cover with foil. Bake 35-45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Bake last 5 minutes without foil cover.
5. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting to serve.

Probably linking up at some different parties.

No comments: