20 April 2012

a peculiar book

This week I finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.


RansomRiggs.com

Synopsis from Amazon.com:
"A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows."


My review:
"Don't judge a book by it's cover."

"Looks can be deceiving."

There are many adjectives used in that amazon.com review of the book. Spine-tingling is definitely not one I would use to describe this book.

I was expecting a lot from this book. The images on the cover (both front and back) are creepy. The description sounded creepy good. Unfortunately the book just didn't deliver for me. I rated it as just "It's OK" on Goodreads (as many others did, the reviews over there are a lot more harsh than mine). I don't think I have rated a book that low yet. A few of the "twists" I already saw coming and the ending was just lackluster for me.

Anyone else read this book? What did you think of it?


I'm linking up with Heather and Megan for Book Club Friday.

6 comments:

Megan said...

I read the book a few months ago and I was expecting it to be a lot more scary too! The cover looks so good and the story is a lot different to what I was expecting. What I did like though was the use of the vintage photographs the author used to weave into the tale, I thought it was a pretty clever concept. I wrote a review of the book on my blog too in case you'd like to check it out.

Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

Abbey S said...

Aw man, that's a bummer that it disappointed. It sounds so good!

Meghan @ More from Meg said...

I'm bummed too - I have this saved on my goodreads too! I've definitely heard mixed reviews! :)

Heather said...

Awww! :(

Shoshanah said...

When I first heard about this I thought it looked odd and something I wouldn't be interested in. But the more I heard about it, I started to thing it would be an interesting pick. I haven't picked it up yet, but given the chance I easily read it.

Sarah E. said...

That is a bummer :(

Stopping by from last week's Book Club.